Clyde lost his Bonnie

Hi!

We have an eight year old male (Clyde)who lost his companion Bonnie about a year and a half ago to cancer.
He is a working dog who stays outside 90% of the time unless it is too hot/humid (we live in North Texas.) The other 10% of the time, we have a large shop with an office/doggie door installed so he may rest comfortably in the A/C during the few months in which the heat is unbearable when or if he chooses.

We/He were so very sad to lose Bonnie and sincerely miss her so much however, he seems to really need another partner in crime. Clyde is very sweet but dominant. Is a female puppy the best option? We are open to adoption if their background is similar to the environment in which we need and what Clyde is used to.

We appreciate it!

Comments for Clyde lost his Bonnie

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 04, 2020
Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Female
by: Donna

The dominance theory has been debunked. Dogs typically are aggressive towards another dog out of fear. Proper introductions are always a must to set the dogs up for success. That is, off property first. Then put Clyde out while you take new dog in house or around property on leash. Don't allow them to nose-to-nose until you are sure Clyde accepts her. This may mean keeping them separate while Clyde gets used to having her around. Walks at a distance while both are on leash is a good way. Always watch the body language. Create distance if required.

We have had many Pyrs come in who were companion dogs but were successfully guided to working dogs within a month.

Here is information on dog reactivity.

Here is a great podcast on href="https://dogsthat.com/podcast/29/" target="_blank">understanding and preventing reactivity and aggression in dogs.

I think you know there are many dog rescues in the States including the National Pyr Rescue.

I hope this helps.

Oct 04, 2020
Rating
starstarstarstarstar

by: Great Pyrenees Club

The dominance theory has been debunked. Dogs typically are aggressive towards another dog out of fear. Proper introductions are always a must to set the dogs up for success. That is, off property first. Then put Clyde out while you take new dog in house or around property on leash. Don't allow them to nose-to-nose until you are sure Clyde accepts her. This may mean keeping them separate while Clyde gets used to having her around. Walks at a distance while both are on leash is a good way. Always watch the body language. Create distance if required.

Male-female partnerships are generally most successful.

We have had many Pyrs come in who were companion dogs but were successfully guided to working dogs within a month.

Here is information on dog reactivity.

Here is a great podcast on href="https://dogsthat.com/podcast/29/" target="_blank">understanding and preventing reactivity and aggression in dogs.

I think you know there are many dog rescues in the States including the National Pyr Rescue.

I hope this helps.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Great Pyrenees Questions.







Breaking News

  1. Buster

    Jan 27, 24 05:35 PM

    DOB: 2016 (7-years-old) Location: Acton, Ontario Good with people, especially children Gets along with dogs Big white fluffy mix. The rescue recommends

    Read More

  2. Nordic and Dolly

    Jan 26, 24 06:13 AM

    Nordic
    A local person found Nordic, Dolly, their siblings and mom running in and out of traffic in -40 C this winter in a remote area on the highway an hour north

    Read More

  3. Courtesy Post - Winter

    Jan 14, 24 06:36 AM

    DOB: Approx. November 2022 (1-year-old) Location: Lower mainland of B.C., Canada – Be prepared to meet Winter in her present home Companion Dog People:

    Read More

  4. Charlie

    Jan 13, 24 08:55 AM

    As a youngster.
    *ON TRIAL* DOB: August 1, 2022 (1-year-old and 4 months) Location: London area Well-behaved children over 12 due to his size Single family dwelling

    Read More

  5. Nanook

    Jan 03, 24 07:55 AM

    *ADOPTED* DOB: Approx. Nov. 15, 2021 This sweetheart Pyr, Nanook, was left at a shelter. The shelter contacted us to bring him in as he wasn’t doing

    Read More

  6. Courtesy Post - Momo

    Dec 11, 23 08:54 AM

    Momo DOB: Nov 19, 2020 (3-years-old) Location: Trenton, Ontario Good in car House-trained Fine on stairs Separation anxiety: No Reactive to dogs.

    Read More

  7. Courtesy - Moose

    Nov 30, 23 05:36 PM

    *ADOPTING PENDING* DOB: August 2018 Moose came to us through animal control wild and frantic. We now know more of his story as his original owners found

    Read More

  8. Courtesy - Maeve

    Nov 27, 23 06:38 AM

    *ADOPTED* DOB: June 15, 2021 Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada Pyr-mix Single-dwelling home with securely fenced-yard Walks well on leash Crate-trained:

    Read More